Legacy

Under   

the   

leadership   

of   

Father   

Leo   

Taeyaerts,

SS.CC.,   

St.   

Joseph   

School   

was   

established   

in

1946    

in    

an    

abandoned    

Japanese    

Language

School.  

Father  

Leo  

sought  

the  

help  

of  

the  

Sisters

of  

St.  

Joseph  

of  

Carondolet.  

Sister  

Mary  

Aloysia

Dugger,  

Sister  

Louis  

Martin  

Bereswill,  

and  

Mother  

Mary

Anne

Dalton   

were   

sent   

to   

staff   

the   

school.   

Mother   

Mary   

Anne

Dalton  

served  

as  

the  

superior  

and  

principal  

of  

the  

school

when   

it   

opened   

in   

September   

with   

an   

enrollment   

of   

128

students  

in  

kindergarten,  

first,  

and  

second  

grades.  

Father

Evarist Gielen, SS.CC. replaced Father Leo in 1946

As  

the  

school  

continued  

to  

grow,  

Father  

Gielen  

planned  

for  

a

new   

school   

and   

convent.   

Bishop   

Sweeney   

blessed   

the

convent   

on   

June   

30,   

1947.   

The   

school,   

which   

is   

the

Administration  

building  

today,  

was  

completed  

in  

December

of  

the  

same  

year.  

With  

the  

growing  

enrollment,  

Father  

Henry

Boeynaems  

SS.CC.  

broke  

ground  

on  

March  

17,  

1952  

for  

a

kindergarten    

classroom    

and    

auditorium    

complete    

with

kitchen  

facilities.  

Today,  

the  

building  

houses  

the  

cafeteria

and   

P.E.   

room.   

Two   

other   

new   

buildings   

have   

been   

built

since  

then;  

the  

J  

building  

was  

completed  

in  

1967  

and  

the  

N

building was added in 1986.

The  

Sacred  

Hearts  

Fathers  

were  

the  

administrators  

of  

St.

Joseph  

School  

for  

forty  

years.  

Since  

1986,  

the  

school  

has

been  

under  

the  

guidance  

of  

the  

Missionaries  

of  

Our  

Lady  

of

La  

Salette  

(MS)  

with  

the  

dedicated  

assistance  

of  

the  

sisters

of  

the  

Congregation  

of  

Benedictine  

Sisters  

of  

the  

Eucharistic

King and lay faculty and staff.

St. Joseph Parish School 94-651 Farrington Highway Wapiahu, Hawaii 96797 Tel: 808.677.4475
We at St. Joseph Parish School believe parents are the primary educators of their children. We support and assist the parents by nurturing the spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional, cultural, aesthetic, and physical growth of the whole person in a safe and caring family environment
Established in 1946
St. Joseph Parish School